Saturday 3 October 2020

Walking Out of the Doors of Death
                  Story of Covid Survival 

Dear friends’
    I have gone through a serous journey of coronavirus infection past two weeks, the experience is worth sharing, I am enclosing various factors how they influence one’s recovery and damage.
  
1. Exposure
Day -1- On 29 Aug 2020, I met 15 patients (supposedly not affected by Corona) for their serious painful conditions. One of them accidentally removed his mask and spoke on my face, but I didn’t suspect anything.

2. Initial Symptoms
Day -2- On 30 Aug, Sunday I felt feverish, nose block, mild cough and joint pains. I felt suspicious and started of with conservative medication Dolo 650, anti-histamine like Montek LC, steam inhalation and gargling.

Day -3- On 31 Aug, my wife and son also had minimal symptoms, my cough has increased and felt breathless in the night. I was sure that we were hit by Covid-19 and decided to isolate ourselves in three different rooms. 

3. Became Corona Positive
Day -4- On 01 Sept, we went to laboratory and tested for SARS-cov2 and to my surprise,
I was declared positive; son was also declared positive and wife was negative. I was skeptical about the RT-PCR, the current gold standard test can give false results in 30% of people. This created a trouble to keep her in quarantine from both of us in the same house. We managed to give her food in her room, she did have some diarrhea. Son was largely asymptomatic with a bit loss of taste and smell. 
Medication started: Doxycycline 100mg twice a day in addition to normal ones to all of us. 

Status 
Me    -  Corona Positive    -      Symptomatic
Wife  -  Corona Negative  -      Mildly Symptomatic
Son    -  Corona Positive    -      Asymptomatic 

4. Worst times
During Night
My symptoms began vigorously, cough became severe in the night, I was sleeping in the drawing room, breathing became difficult with worsening cough. I walked out of the door and did some Taichi breathing, but in vain. Took steam inhalation several times. Choking sensation continued.     
Day -5- On 02 Sept, discussed with some colleagues, and the was hell of a confusion, there is no single proper methodology of medication, took a decision on my own and started off

1. Favipiravir (Fabi flu) to reduce the viral infection and load
2. Prednisolone 20 mg twice a day to reduce the reaction of the body against the virus
3. Vit D3 60000 IU one dose daily
4. Other vitamins. (I was sure that Ivermectin and HCQS were of no use) 
Fever was on between 100-102 FH; Night was terrific with choking and breathing difficulty and dam medical brain reminding all the complications of Covid. But on the other side, years of martial arts training, control over breathing and not having any disease such as diabetes, hypertension and hypothyroidism (Comorbidities) were the blessing in disguise. Somehow managed that night.

Day -6- On Sept 03, the day of nightmare, day time was better, as the night approached, cough became so terrible, with each bout of cough, bladder and bowel were embarrassingly leaking. Took Oxygen saturation, it was ranging between 85-92%, that means significant less supply of oxygen to my lungs and brain. Whole night I was getting up coughing, doing inhalation, gargling and of course doing some mental training. I had decided, whatever the situation may be, I am not going to go to hospital and die in ICU. I was able to sleep only on my back for few min every hour. I didn’t wake my family members, I had to climb 20 steps to go to toilet with SOB (Shortness of Breath) grade III, barely was able breath. I remember our commando course saying, when going gets tougher, the tough get going”. My experience of motivating thousands of players, patients and students did come handy in driving myself. Fear in the mind pushed me in too many negative thoughts, i.e. I didn’t write my will? Who will repay the loans, who will publish my research works and bla bla…  

Day -7- On Sept 04, Good news was I got up with no fever (probably antiviral did work).  I called my friend John from Tenet to test my blood values to check for complications if any. As expected, D Dimor, IL 6, CBP, HRCRP, Ferritin were all in abnormal ranges indicating that I might go in to vascular complications. I didn’t start any aspirin or HCQS. I knew, as the inflammation comes down things would improve. Nights were still terrible; 

Day 8 –10 – From Sept 05 - 07, day time I was better with no taste and smell, but by night things were same. I called for Oxygen generator to improve my night difficulties; this machine was invaluable in improving my O2 saturation. Night struggle continued with lot of secretions, irritating cough and the miserable nights. We improved our cooking daily mutton, chicken, eggs, orange juice. 

5. Recovery began

Day -11 – 15- From Sept.08 -12, Oxygen discontinued, Saturation improved, cough persisted, Shortness of breath persists. Secretions are still there, sleep slightly improved. Steroid tapering began, stopped antibiotic, breathing exercises and nutritious food are helping me to get back to action. 

Day – 16 – Sept 13 on wards, Things have improved, little cough, weakness and found it difficult to talk more than few minutes. WE are going test on 15 September; post Covid complications are well known and we need to exercise our minds unravelling those unknown dangers.
 
Day -18  - Sept 15 Our RT-PCR tested negative, all my IL6, D Dimor, Ferritin, HsCRP came down to normal levels. Chest HRCT scans have findings of CO-RADS. 3/4 for both of us and my son got chest clear. Now we need to fight with post Covid complications if any.  

6. Lessons Learnt

Why so many doctors who are dying daily during frontline job? Are there any risk factors apart from direct dose of virus infection?  

Yes, the doctors, medical staff who died due to Covid were largely affected by their pre-existing diseases like diabetes, Hypertension and obesity

Poor Micronutrient status is equally responsible; our dedicated medical fraternity must take care of themselves with regard to timing and composition of nutrition

Body weight management is of paramount importance in maintaining intrinsic immunity
Physical exercise, sleep and rest are three important cardinals of immunity to maintain 
biorhythm of Human body which in turn solidifies the immune system 

Doctors cannot afford to die because of ignorance and inability to protect themselves. They are needed because, the more power the more responsibility…  

7. Vit D deficiency pandemic opened doors To Covid pandemic?

Yes, people with low Vit D status (almost 95% of the world population) are highly susceptible to viral infections including covid-19, but you may then ask me why did I get it? 

The answer is very clear, when I got directly exposed to a Covid person who spoke on my face without mask, probably the dose of infection could not be prevented. 

Because my good Vit D status, probably saved me from hospitalization and allowed faster recovery. One must have an appropriate vitamin status of the body to prevent cytokine storms in the body and complications.

8. Can we boost our immunity all of a sudden?

Absolutely baseless, suddenly eating zinc, vitamins (Few can help), drinking kada, and ayurvedic Kashaya cannot raise your immunity overnight. Immunity is not a ready-made item which can be boosted on the spot.

To your surprise, my wife had a severe gastritis after drinking AYUSH promoted kada made of Tulasi and what not.  

Please improve your basic food habits, abstain from alcohol and smoking and sleep tight to boost your immunity. 

How much you have earned??? all that matters. 
 
Having affected by covid-19, made me realize to think ‘how much I have earned’?

More than 4000 friends, well-wishers, patients and some unknown people had extended their heartfelt wishes for our recovery, people have called restlessly to know about the progress, many had sent delicious cooked food and there was no shortage of medicine supply. 

People, relatives from my village and patients from far off villages performed prayers for our recovery. Constant blessings from old parents and families were the best vaccines one can afford. 

8. Living in Giving, the philosophy of life…  

Today I walked out of the doors of Death not because of antiviral drug but I believe it’s because of so many factors. I had seen war, met major accidents, had narrow escapes during Motorcycle rallies and worst of situations in my 60 years of life. 

I have saved more than 6000 people from surgery and saved more than 120 people from Covid itself; I had planted more than a lakh of trees to mother earth in my life. 

When it comes to taking back, it took so much of efforts to hold on to one small life for 5 days of life and death during Corona Invasion. 

I have realized that I have yet another chance to give and give to believe in my philosophy of “Living in Giving”

9. Living with Corona

We are going to live with corona for couple of years without any doubt. We may achieve herd immunity as the more numbers get infected, sacrifices of people at risk is going to be inevitable. Vaccine? I am not sure it’s going to work or cause more danger? we don’t know. Life should go on with suitable guidelines and law-abiding attitude (Not spreading virus to others). Let’s respect humans, nature and mother earth. Take care

I thank all of you from the bottom of my heart
 
All my Friends
All my Doctor Colleagues
All my Family members

Prof Maj S Bakhtiar Choudhary
D.Litt., MD, PhD
Consultant
Sports Medicine & Occupational Health
Tel 8008123940
sbakhtiar@hotmail.com
www.drbakhtiar.com
  

No comments:

Post a Comment